Name - Mike Smith

I enjoy computer(ing)(s), my guitars, my motorcycle, gaming in general, all kinds of music, sci-fi, reading, and just generally being lazy.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Nickel & Dime

Why can't I buy a "kit" with everything needed for my device to work the way it was intended? Electronics should come with basic cables necessary for different applications. To be specific, I just got around to installing the Sirius Sportster radio that I bought several weeks ago. I ran the antenna and the 12 volt power cord through the dash and out right where I wanted to mount the dock. The kit has the receiver, antenna, power adaptor, remote, dock, and suction cup mount included. Even though my truck radio doesn't have an aux in jack, how much could it have been to include a male-male mini cable and a mini to RCA cable? Those things are like 2 bux at Radio Shack? And if you know your device has a crappy FM transmitter, go ahead and include the FM direct adapter that plugs into the radio's antenna jack. I know electronics can't come with EVERY possible cable needed, but these should have been included here. Now I'll need to buy the FM direct adapter, and once it gets here, run another wire through the dash.

Typing about the FM transmitter made me think about another issue. I hate the radio available around here where I live. There are about 15-20 channels that come in clear, at least 7 or 8 are crap country, 1 is classic country, 3 of them are classic rock, and the rest are pop, soul, or talk/public. I like the classic country station, NPR, and maybe one of the classic rock stations. There is just no great radio available. So with that in mind, let me tell you this. There is not ONE selection on the FM dial that is sufficiently static-free for me to use the FM transmitter in the satellite radio receiver... There is some kind of crap bleeding onto every friggin' point on the dial, and there still ain't jack to listen to. One of the reasons I bought a Zune and the Sirius receiver in the first place.

2 comments:

Chris said...

One suggestion for you. Check out the DLO Transdock Micro. It's a little pricey, but worth every penny (and you can get it cheaper from places like Amazon). I would guess there's a version that is Zune compatible and it also has a stereo mini-jack input (so it would work with both your devices). It is by far THE best FM transmitter. We live in a very saturated FM area (Suburban Atlanta) and there are several stations we've found that are plenty weak enough for the DLO to power over. In fact, I can follow my wife home in my car and pick it up--it's that awesome.

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

That sounds sweet. And I have plenty of Amazon gift certs laying around. Thanks for the tip!