Name - Mike Smith

I enjoy computer(ing)(s), my guitars, my motorcycle, gaming in general, all kinds of music, sci-fi, reading, and just generally being lazy.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What, me worry?

The quick update is, it's all together and working! Thank goodness.
Here is a list of what I used:
I've installed XP Professional with the intentions of upgrading to Vista. As I've mentioned before, most of my free time is spent on the xBox 360 and I want to use the Media Center aspect of Vista to enhance my experience. I'm also hoping to be able to stream to the laptop downstairs and use it if I want to watch something in the living room.

So all of the players are in position, now it's time to implement. Until I get Vista installed, at least Glenda and I can begin moving our CD collection to the server, and she can begin arranging her digital photo albums. That alone should keep us busy for a few years. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I only had off-white cd-rws in the old machine, but I had a black faced external DVD-RW drive that I had bought. I just took the case apart and put the drive in the new machine and put one of the cd-ws back into the enclosure.

2 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

I might (and I mean might) try to build the next one for the "family". Mine business one I will leave to the pros.

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

It's fun, if a little frustrating at times. It seems to be a lot easier these days with most everything being snap on (no screws). Also with WinXP or later, I've never had any driver problems. That used to be a real pain with Win95, 98, or ME. Tons of hardware conflicts and not a lot of easy access to drivers.