Name - Mike Smith

I enjoy computer(ing)(s), my guitars, my motorcycle, gaming in general, all kinds of music, sci-fi, reading, and just generally being lazy.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swallet: "It's all good."

For about 5 years now, I've been using a Swallet instead of a wallet. "What is a Swallet?" you ask? Well, it's basically a round piece of neoprene wet suit (or maybe dry suit, I don't know) with a smaller width piece of neoprene with a slightly larger diameter to fit around it. The idea, or rather the idea for me, is to force you to take a minimalistic approach to what you carry around in your wallet, cutting it to basics to make it more convenient and comfortable to carry. It's also great to use for sports and activities, and that is probably the main purpose for it. It floats in water, and the rubber exterior makes it difficult for it to fall out of loose fitting pants pockets.

My longtime friend stumbled across one when a person he was working with was selling them. He bought one and like it so much, he bought me one and gave it to me. Like him, I was skeptical, but willing to try it. I had a bunch of crap in my wallet, and it was hard to come to terms with the fact that I didn't need it all. What wasn't hard to dispute was that the bloated wallet was very uncomfortable to sit on and a pain to carry around. I finally whittled my contents down to my driver's license, 1 credit card, my debit card, insurance card, and some cash. I moved anything else I wanted to keep to my checkbook, and I don't carry that with me much. It took a bit of adjustment, and then I knew I'd never go back.

Well, with my current job, things are a bit more complicated. Added to the Swallet were my business credit card, business calling card, flexible spending account credit card (forced upon me by my employer, which I need to make a blog post about...), & annual safety training card used when I visit plant sites. I've also added about 3 gift cards that I put in there because I kept forgetting them at home and need to use them. This has made the thickness of the Swallet grow too much, and it is getting to the point of feeling like my old wallet.

So today I went and ordered a 2nd one (actually I ordered a few, to either keep as backups, even though this one has lasted and doesn't need replacing, or to give away to friends who want to try one out). My plan is to separate some of the work stuff into the second one and try keeping it in my backpack, or in my left pocket, since I don't put anything in there usually.

So, if anyone is interested, they are only $7 plus shipping. Worth a try, and if you don't like it, you ain't out much. When I called today, he offered me the option of buying 3 for $19.95 and getting 2 free, which I did.

2 comments:

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

That's tempting to check out. I use a Colibri money clip with a watch face on it. The problem is that it's rather heavy, and the watch hasn't worked in about 5 years. I've replaced the battery on it 3 times and it'll go out in like 6 months, now I don't bother. As soon as I started carrying a cell phone, I gave up worrying about watches anyway.

I just might check it out. I think in my wallet is about 3 credit cards and 3 other cards - insurance, blockbuster, etc.

This all reminds me of one of my favorite bits from Seinfeld where Kramer tells Jerry "I keep the big bills on the outside" and Jerry says "that's a five". :-D

Sal Cartusciello said...

May need to look at it. I rarely spend much cash, and pretty much always know if I will need it, so reducing down would be nice.

5 for $20 is a good deal.