Name - Mike Smith

I enjoy computer(ing)(s), my guitars, my motorcycle, gaming in general, all kinds of music, sci-fi, reading, and just generally being lazy.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I can haz engineering?

I had a PE (Professional Engineer) Exam review class last night, so I didn't get in until late. So, I decided that I would create a post this morning. It's truly depressing to realize how much you've forgotten since college. It's been 12 years now, and even the basics of some things have left me. I applied for the PE Exam years ago, but the combination of my first wife dying and the lack of available preparation courses kept me from taking it yet. I believe I'm past the 5 year cutoff for my application, so I'll have to re-apply to take it.

I got my "NACE Coating Inspector Level 1 - Certified" certification in the mail yesterday. Along with the AWS "Certified Welding Inspector" I received early last year just goes to prove that my Mom and Dad were always right... I'm certifiable. :)

As a Harley owner, Sal made a comment (all in good fun, of course) about my Japanese bike. I'll refrain from making any Sportster comments. :) I would love to have a Fat Boy or Heritage Softail, but I just couldn't justify it when there are other bikes that are just as nice for 1/2 the price. I kinda wanted to go with a Victory to stay in the American made market, but there aren't as many used ones around. I found two in town that were very nice, but both were overpriced (From dealers) at $10k and $12k. (I can't have a toy that is worth more than my truck, ya know.) Plus, I don't care for the look of the V-Twin as much on the Victory. It needs a little something more.

I think I found the helmet that I want. I'm going to go to a local dealer and see if I can find one to try on. Looks like it'll be the best of both worlds for what I like. The seller is also including a couple of helmets since I agreed to drive the full distance to his place. I don't know what he has, but I hope that it is something different so that I'll have choices when I ride without spending a lot of extra cash.

I'm bummed because I received my Fender Stratocaster Guitar Controller replacement from EA yesterday, and it didn't work right out of the box. The strum bar and the D-pad would not register any up/down movement. So now I have to get a second replacement. We started our Geezer Gamer Rock Band tournament last night, and I really wanted the Rock Band Guitar controller because I can't use the Guitar Hero II controller as well. A lot of the guys that I play with like the GHII controller better. I have three main problems with it. One is that it just doesn't fit my frame as well. The RB one is slightly larger and my arm is not at as much of an angle. Secondly, the fret buttons take up all of the fret "area" on the RB guitar. The GHII guitar has dead space around the buttons which I usually end up fretting instead of the button. Lastly, the RB guitar has positive stops (granted they are small, but they are there) on either side of the fret buttons (above the green and below the orange). This is extremely useful in finding my hand position if I get out of place and I have become a little reliant on them.

1 comment:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Hey, Sportsters are OK now. 5 years ago, not so much. Ask Furg, he rode it home last year.

I am a GHII guitar strummer. Morgan plays the RB guitar.