Name - Mike Smith

I enjoy computer(ing)(s), my guitars, my motorcycle, gaming in general, all kinds of music, sci-fi, reading, and just generally being lazy.

Monday, February 11, 2008

New Ride

Well, I haven't had the time to sit down and create a topical blog every night, or every other, like I wanted. So, I'm going to try a daily update format like my buddies Sal and Casey, with a topical post scattered about. I've enjoyed reading their updates.

So, I somehow convinced Glenda to let me get a bike. We are probably going to start trying to have a baby soon, and I wanted to go ahead and buy that big toy first, or it'd probably never happen. I've found a good deal on our inter-company classified ads. The only problem is that the seller works at one of our plant sites about 7 hrs away. He's agreed to meet me partway. I'm still trying to work out the logistics of getting it home if the weather is bad. I hope to meet him this weekend. The bike is a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic, 1600cc. It has several extras, including nice saddlebags, a windshield, and Vance & Hines pipes. It only has 5900 miles on it.

Glenda seems interested in riding. I hope it is something that she enjoys so that we can ride together occasionally.

This'll be the biggest bike I've ever driven. 800cc is the biggest I've ridden before.

The plan now is to sell my Mustang (1970 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland). I'll need to change the oil, clean the carburetor and get it ready when spring rolls around. I paid 6k for it, and I've put about $2500 into it. I rebuilt the engine, had the block bored .010 and bought new pistons, new cam, rebuilt the automatic transmission, put on a stall converter and put an edelbrock 850 carb on it. It still needs a little work and TLC (very little) to have a nice Sunday driver. The electrical system needs replacing. It has a serious ground that drains the battery real quick. The timing really needs to be tweaked because it is a bitch to start. The power steering valve has a bad leak also. It needs to be replaced. I just don't have the time, or the drive, to work on it anymore. That is part of the reason for the bike. It is something I can go out and ride and enjoy without spending all of my spare time on maintenance.

2 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

That is a nice bike. I think you will appreciate the windshield, and so will your wife.

Unknown said...

So now I hate both you and Sal..... :) Nice bike, and very nice car...no I don't want it, but it is nice